Re: cpu overheating

Les wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:15 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:

Mike Chalmers wrote:

I like Linux, alot. I mean alot. I like what it stands for (besides
the corporations). But my CPU has never overheated. I am pretty sure
that it is not my hardware. It could be a bug in Linux. The kernel
could be be sending incorrect frequencies to the hardware or something
like that.

Hummmm....  Something like that happened to me years ago...  Let me think.
Oh, right.....

[snip]

It is a well-known fact that faulty software can overheat CPUs.

[snip]

I do believe that I can cause some processors to overheat, however, that
software would not do anything useful.  Once you start accessing memory,

Yes, it does. It searches for large prime numbers. That program has
found several largest known primes in the last few years.

[snip]

The GIMP testing program I would suspect verifies such things as look
ahead, que length call/return overhead and so forth to give a good
"frames per second presentation" vs a temperature test of the processor.

Actually, it doesn't. The point of it is simply to run as intensively
as possible, and see whether it can complete. If the CPU overheats, then
it doesn't work properly, that's all. It doesn't read any sensors.

[snip]

	As to the statement that faulty software could cause it, perhaps, but
it would be a real fluke, because as I said lots of things get in the
way in a real normal system.  Such a software bug would have to disable
lots of hardware besides the processor to create that kind of havoc.

Eh? All it has to do is be constantly ready to run. If the process
never blocks for I/O, then it would keep the CPU pretty busy.

Yes there would be breaks when other processes get time, possibly,
due to virtual misses. But that is by no means guaranteed.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.