Re: /dev/mapper and Anaconda install failures (FC6 x86_64)

Sean Bruno wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:22 +0800, Hadders wrote:
Sean Bruno wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:02 +0800, Hadders wrote:
Sean Bruno wrote:
I've been wrestling with anaconda this evening on my x86_64 machine.  It
seems that anaconda (or some other piece of the installer) is
forcing /dev/mapper to be created even when I have no RAID devices
enabled.

I have cleared the 'fake' raid stuff off of my disks from rescue
mode(dmraid -E), but with 2 disks installed the installer insists on
trying to configure /dev/mapper/mpath0.

I see each disk individually if I only have one SATA drive connected at
a time.  Which seems odd as heck to me, but I can install FC6 and at
least send you folks this email this way.

Is there a 'nodmraid' option to the installer that I can pass to allow
me to see /dev/sda & /dev/sdb instead of the dmraid stuff?  What's even
stranger is that there appears to be a way to disable dmraid from the
GUI screen when you choose to 'remove all partitions', but the option is
greyed out?!?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sean

Does your mainboard have any RAID BIOS's loaded?
Jump in to the BIOS and have a look at the SATA RAID stuff, DON'T CHANGE IT.
Please let us know what the setting is.
I have an Asus K8N-DL mobo that has two RAID controllers on it.  An
Nvidia and a Silicon Image.  I have both RAID controllers disabled at
this time.  Both of the SATA drives were connected to the Nvidia SATA
controller during this round of tests.

Sean

have you ever run the RAID through the BIOS's?

Yes.  A long, long, long time ago.  It didn't work under FC4, so I used
S/W raid.  FC5's support of these 'fake' Raid devices didn't impress me,
so I stuck with S/W raid.  My intent with FC6 was to do the same thing,
however numerous attempts to install on more than one disk have failed.

Sean

Hmmm, I would say that something thinks you've still got some RAID somewhere. Ironically, I'm trying to get my "fake" RAID device working with FC5. I kinda have it working, except that it doesn't want to work with the latest kernel! arrrgh.

Anyway, if /dev/mapper is involved then dmraid thinks you have a container.
Possibilities include:
- The signatures on the disks have not been "cleared", I usually badblocks -vw /dev/sda to scrub a disk entirely, though you could just dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 to blast the MBR - The RAID BIOS on the mainboard, though Disabled, still has a setting and wants to get involved.

I assume you're talking about having problems with Software RAID in FC6?