Re: Compiz Update?

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:25:51 -0800
Srikanth Konjarla <srikanth.konjarla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I understand that. However, i am unable to get the
> "desktop-effects" working without the proprietary driver from nVidia. I
> would not mind using "nv" driver instead if i can get "desktop-effects"
> working. Any insight would be appreciated.

nv won't do compiz. There is a project called Nouveau trying to build an
open source Nvidia driver (without Nvidia help). As a developer the
"Nvidia driver" is a black box so you really do need to ask Nvidia (or
their forums) for help. It may well be that some version of Nvidia driver
has fixed the problem, or that there is a known workaround they can give
you.

Nvidia + compiz => Rock + hard place

I really wish it wasn't so an Nvidia had an open source driver but they
don't and don't seem to plan to change their viewpoint. OTOH they do
fairly actively support their Linux driver so stuff gets fixed.

Alan