Re: Beware - NetworkManager

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 09:42 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
Beware - It seems that the first time you use NetworkManager it destroys
the contents of you resolv.conf (built at install time).  It also seems
that it doesn't make a backup copy first.

Thanks,
Gene Poole

I have never noticed that this is true. I will have to look into your
statement.

If you have a network profile that is based upon a fixed IP address and DNS servers (which I do have at home behind a router with DHCP disabled), then NM will overwrite the configurations for that profile, including /etc/resolv.conf.

I use NM at work, where we have DHCP and of course with wireless networks when travelling.

However, at home, I end up disabling NM and then run a shell script which activates the Home profile and associated config settings and then ifup's eth0.

It seems to me that I have seen references to this previously, relative to using NM when one has a fixed IP and DNS settings. My recollection is that NM is really configured for DHCP based nets and does not (yet) support network profiles.

However, I would love for somebody to tell me that I am wrong on this, as I would love to not have to go through the steps that I do when at home.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz