Re: Grub problem with SATA drives

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 17:39 +0100, Pedro Bezunartea Lopez wrote:
I have a strange problem with grub. I had fedora installed on a SATA
drive, 7th partition. I started to have problems with the disk so I got a
new one. I forgot to buy the SATA cable so, for a few days I replaced the
bad disk with the new one, doing a fresh install, this time on the 5th
partition. No problems there. Then, when I connected both disks at the
same time a strange boot problem appeared.

The symptom is that hd0 is sdb and hd1 is sda. This has taken me a while
to figure out. I even did a new clean installation with both disks
connected. The installation took sda as the new disk and sdb as the old
one, as expected, but when I tried to reboot, the word "GRUB" filled the
screen and it did not boot.

You, now, have two SATA drives plugged in at the same time?  For
interest's sake, what happens if you swap their data connectors around?
I would have expected something like that to be the solution.

Umm, I think you'll find the problem goes deeper than that. When you did a fresh install, the other drive didn't exist.
So Fedora LABELLED your new partitions the SAME as the old disks.

This means you have multiple labelled drives that are the SAME == BAD
So, boot up in rescue mode (disk 1) then at prompt > linux rescue
Then do an fdisk -l /dev/sda , fdisk -l /dev/sdb
That will list all the paritions. sda is Port 0 on the mainboard, sdb is Port 1 You can then type e2label /dev/sda(x) where x is the number corresponding to your linux partitions.
This will simply LIST the volume labels
You should only have ONE root (/), so to relabel it, the command is the same, but with the new label on the end, e.g e2label /dev/sda3 / will relabel parition 3 as root (/)

Hope that helps