Grub problem with SATA drives

Hi!

I have a strange problem with grub. I had fedora installed on a SATA
drive, 7th partition. I started to have problems with the disk so I got a
new one. I forgot to buy the SATA cable so, for a few days I replaced the
bad disk with the new one, doing a fresh install, this time on the 5th
partition. No problems there. Then, when I connected both disks at the
same time a strange boot problem appeared.

The symptom is that hd0 is sdb and hd1 is sda. This has taken me a while
to figure out. I even did a new clean installation with both disks
connected. The installation took sda as the new disk and sdb as the old
one, as expected, but when I tried to reboot, the word "GRUB" filled the
screen and it did not boot.

The strange thing is that grub doesn't work the same way when I boot from
the CD in rescue mode, than when it boots from the hard drive. I
re-installed grub manually and all the commands given to the grub console
were accepted fine. The commands I typed were the same I had in the
grub.conf file:
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2849.fc6)
  root (hd0,4)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 ro root=/dev/sda5 vga=791 initrd
/boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.img

To be able to boot I had to install grub in the sdb disk, and change the
"root (hd0,4)" to "root (hd1,4)"!!!

Is this a fedora issue or should I sent it to grub developers? what do you
think?

Thanks for a great linux distribution!

Pedro.

PS: The BIOS can only specify "Hard Disk" as the boot device. No
distinction between first or second disk.