Re: logwatch failing on mail to user

On Sat December 9 2006 3:56 pm, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > What is the sender e-mail address for the e-mail? What's the
> > domain name?
>
> If it is the logwatch mailing I can tell you exactly what the
> OP's problem is.  The logwatch authors chose an sender name
> that doesn't exist in /etc/password.  When Verizon does the
> smpt "finger-back" to see if the user-name really exists, it
> finds that user "logwatch" doesn't exist on the fedora box.
> It then thinks the email is spoofed and junks it.
>
> I have a similar problem here with logwatch that falls afoul
> of my *@wsrcc.com anti-spoofing filters.  My filters notice
> that the claimed sender "logwatch@xxxxxxxxxxxx" doesn't exist
> and trashes the message. I found the simplest fix is to make
> the sender be root and have the human-name-string (gecos field
> for the old timers) be "Logwatch".
>
> To do that add this to the file
> /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf:
>
> MailFrom = root (Logwatch)
>
> ---- cut here ----
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/

Listen, all of you who are responding, I'm reading your
suggestions avidly, and I thank you for them. I haven't had time
to try any of your suggestions, or trouble-shoot further, but I
will devote some time to this tonight. It's funny, because my
denyhosts mailings suddenly started working, so something I did
in the last round has affected something - in this case, I'm
using a different mailto address, but, it wasn't working either,
before. Here's some of the header stuff from one of the header
messages from denyhosts: