Re: Suggestions for streaming audio?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I may have the need to do some live audio streaming soon, so I am
> doing some preemtive research on the topic. The last time I did any of
> this was on Windows with Windows Encoder no less. I have since grown
> to hate Windows and would much rather do this in Linux. Since Fedora
> is my distro of choice I ask you guys:
>
> What is the status of audio streaming (and I suppose recording) on
> Linux? What are hardware requirements like? I would doubt that they
> would be high, but I rather not assume too much.
>
> The application would be for live audio of the classical music type, I
> have no preference yet of codec, but I am guessing that the avg.
> simultaneous connections once it is fully up and running would be at
> least 50, but I am just guessing at this point.
>
> Please let me know what your thoughts, and esp your experiences are.
>
> Thank you.

I use icecast at home for my streaming jukebox on my LAN at home.  It's
solid, handle MP3 and OGG files and can handle the 650GB or so of audio
files I have.  I use an old 400MHz PC with 256MB RAM and it seems to
handle the streaming fine with a half dozen connections or so.

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator