Re: REPOST - cron syslog entries since FC4 -> FC6 upgrade.

On 08Dec2006 09:51, Styma, Robert E (Robert) <stymar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|  I upgraded from FC4 -> FC6 via CD's in upgrade
|  mode and now I am getting lots of cron entries
|  in /var/log/secure.  Comparisons between the FC4
|  /etc/syslog.conf file and the current copy show
|  it was not updated.  These crond:session messages are
|  not useful to me and they can obscure real security messages.
|
|  I see lots of entries like the following:
|  Dec  6 13:04:01 styma8 crond[29897]: pam_unix(crond:session):
|  session opened for user root by (uid=0)
[...]
|  My /etc/syslog.conf file is pretty simple (see below).  The only thing
|  I am directing to /var/log/secure is authpriv.* which I believe is the
|  default.  I would prefer to send these cron messages to
|  either /var/log/cron
|  or the bit bucket.  This leaves /var/log/secure more uncluttered.
|
|  Can someone suggest a change to /etc/syslog.conf which would
|  affect the
|  change I want?  Thank you for your time.
[...]
|  # The authpriv file has restricted access.
|  authpriv.*				/var/log/secure
[...]
|  # Log cron stuff
|  cron.*				/var/log/cron

Do the messages appear in /var/log/cron also?

If so, does changing the authpriv line like this:

  authpriv.*;cron.none				/var/log/secure

do anything useful?
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

You wouldn't... ...but you KNOW you could.      - Original V65 Commercial