Webcam with FC6

I have read that the Logitech Quickcam Chat web cam works 'out of the
box' with Linux. So I have bought one. Unfortunately, I can't get it
to work in Linux, let alone 'out of the box'! It works extremely well
with XP and Windows Live Messenger.

The camera active light is on, but no Linux programs appear to be able
to find it. The camera is plugged into a USB socket on the back of
the computer.

I have tried it with five different Linux distros, two hard drive
installations and three from Live CDs. Here's what I get:

Kopete: Settings->Configure->Devices. The small picture window is blue
and there is 'No device listed'.

aMSN: I get the error message 'Cannot display the webcam's image. Make
sure your webcam is well plugged and installed.'

Ekiga: Going through the set-up, when I get to setting up the video
using either V4L or V4L2, I get the message 'No device found'.

I want the webcam to communicate with others using the MSN protocol.
It's a nuisance, having used Linux for several hours, to have to
close it down and boot up XP just to use the webcam! Then back out of
Windows and into Linux again. Especially when it is supposed to work
perfectly in Linux.

If it's any help, the webcam is not listed in the KDE Control
Centre "periferals". But I have no idea if it should be.

Please, what should I try next to get the webcam to work?

Any advice will be *very* gratefully received.

Many thanks

Keith