Re: mail for root

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:37 +0800, Hadders wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:09 +0800, Hadders wrote:
Hadders wrote:
Hi all,
I should know how to do this, but 99% of the time, I don't care about the mail for root.

Should I?

Also, how would I turn this off?

Thanks

Thanks people.

Just another couple of questions. If I want this to go to an external email address, obviously I enter the address in the alias. But, how does it get there? I assume I need sendmail running? and where do I configure the smtp-host (external) that sendmail should use?
----
sendmail should be running...

edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

find these lines...

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')
dnl #

edit per instructions

restart sendmail

Craig

Thanks craig,  any way I can test this from the commandline?
----
mail someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(hint use a . on a line by itself to end the mail)

Craig

Thanks heaps, I had to had a name record lookup in my domain for my PC, otherwise the external mail server bounced it, claiming it didn't exist (well, it didn't for them really).

Other than that, all good.

Thanks to everybody for their assistance.

Anyone looking for a challenge, check out my thread "dmraid", no-one's replied ;-(