Re: mail for root

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:09 +0800, Hadders wrote:
Hadders wrote:
Hi all,
I should know how to do this, but 99% of the time, I don't care about the mail for root.

Should I?

Also, how would I turn this off?

Thanks

Thanks people.

Just another couple of questions. If I want this to go to an external email address, obviously I enter the address in the alias. But, how does it get there? I assume I need sendmail running? and where do I configure the smtp-host (external) that sendmail should use?
----
sendmail should be running...

edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

find these lines...

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')
dnl #

edit per instructions

restart sendmail

Craig

Thanks craig,  any way I can test this from the commandline?