Re: local DNS server

Neil Cherry wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I've heard that one could run a local DNS server to speed up internet
>>> access. Does this have a real-world advantage for a home user?
>
>> Where running a local name server really helps is if you have more
>> then one machine on the local network, and they are all configured
>> to use the same local name server. Chances are, there are going to
>> be a fair number of sites that are used by more then one computer.
>
> Bingo, this is what I have setup. I'm currently using tinydns and
> dnscache. I have many devices and I can't remember the IP addresses
> of them all. So I put in the local DNS and manually administer it
> and DHCP. There is another DNS program that you can use (not BIND)
> that's supposed to be for this kind of situation (dnsmasq). I
> haven't taken the time to investigate that setup but I eventually
> will.
>
> PS, yes I have enough IP devices to justify the dns.

I like dnsmasq. If you are also going to run a DHCP server on the
machine, you can use it as the DHCP server as well. Or you can set
it up to automatically add the DHCP assigned name/IP address from
other DHCP servers. You can also set a system MX record. By default,
it will also read your /etc/hosts file, and add that to the hosts it
knows about. For a small network, it is a lot easier to configure
then a full name server. As an added plus, you can tell it to watch
a file to automatically update the name servers it uses. For
example, if you use dialup, you can have it watch
/etc/ppp/resolf.conf and use the server set by your current dialup
connection. (You need to set PEERDNS to NO in your PPP setup, so
that /etc/resolv.conf does not get changed.) I have also set it up
on a firewall machine so that it provides DNS for the local network,
and gets it forwarding name servers from /etc/resolv.conf that is
set by the Internet connection. (Modem or PPPoE)

Mikkel