Re: local DNS server

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
I've heard that one could run a local DNS server to speed up internet
access. Does this have a real-world advantage for a home user?

Where running a local name server really helps is if you have more
then one machine on the local network, and they are all configured
to use the same local name server. Chances are, there are going to
be a fair number of sites that are used by more then one computer.

Bingo, this is what I have setup. I'm currently using tinydns and
dnscache. I have many devices and I can't remember the IP addresses
of them all. So I put in the local DNS and manually administer it
and DHCP. There is another DNS program that you can use (not BIND)
that's supposed to be for this kind of situation (dnsmasq). I
haven't taken the time to investigate that setup but I eventually
will.

PS, yes I have enough IP devices to justify the dns.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site