Re: Fedora and reinstalling Windows

Mike McCarty wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 17:34, Mike McCarty wrote:

But I am definitely using all Microsoft product to manage initial boot
(after the BIOS relinquishes control, that is).

you poor poor soul :-(

Nah. It works fine, and was easy to set up. Once I've selected that
I want to boot Linux, GRUB comes up and asks me which version of the
kernel I'd prefer. Works fine. I put a default in for Linux, along
with a timeout so I could easily select, but just walk away from
a boot if I preferred.

Mike
Here's my 2c. Right now I'm using NTLoader (XP boot manager) to boot Grub, and then Grub to load Linux.
However, on my laptop. I use Grub to boot Linux, XP or Vista.

Grub IS superior. There is no doubt about that. It's also very flexible. My experience with the booting fiasco is....
- Windows likes to be THE bootable partition, but can live without being it
- Linux with a separate /boot partition is good, because you can always install grub to that partition (not boot record), then dump the first 512bytes to let XP use it. - Windows and Linux can live on the same disk, they can also live on separate disks. In the first case I always shove Windows up the front, make it a primary part, then make /boot primary then make a logical and put linux under that. Linux handles disk placement much better (ie, it doesn't care)

So in short, you can go either way, I do. However, I favor Grub more because it boots just everything I need to! XP, Linux, Vista