Re: Fedora and reinstalling Windows

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:51:00 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> Grumpy_Penguin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 December 2006 14:59, Arghavan Sabahi wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>  Some time ago I installed Fedora Core 4 on my PC with your
> >> great help.
> >>Everything was fine until when I decided to reinstall Windows
> >>XP. I formated the two partitions which were for windows' use
> >>and reinstalled it.
>
> [snip]
>
> > This is a famous W$ problem/feature. The installation of
> > windows overwrites the master boot record.
> > If windows is installed first then install linux ...Then lilo
> > or grub is smart enough to recognize the other operating
> > system...windows ain't that smart
>
> This is untrue. I have a machine which is dual-boot Windows XP and
> Fedora Core. I use the Windows XP boot manager to boot Fedora (via
> GRUB).
>
> [snip]
>
> Mike

But did you install Windows first or Linux (any flavor) first?
Because Widnows (as far as I have ever experienced) overwrites the
boot sector. You can of course use the Windows Boot manager to boot
linux as I have done this before, but you must install Windows
first and then your flavor os linux.

Is this not correct? I've never experienced it any other way.

--
Alex White
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx