Re: Server keeps shutting down ! (FC3)

Kim Lux wrote:
> I've got a generic AMD PC server that keeps shutting down.
<snip>
> Is there any other way to figure out from FC3 why it would be shutting
> down ? Does FC3 log an abnormal shutdown and give a reason somewhere ?

Have you tried using a live CD distribution? It sounds like FC3 isn't
staying up very long, so you could leave the live CD booted for that
long and see whether the machine rebooted.

Have you checked the BIOS to see if that has any temperature sensors?
(The advantage of checking the BIOS is that the figures there are more
likely to be calibrated).

You could -- carefully! -- try touching the heatsink to see how hot that
gets. If it gets too hot to touch, something's wrong. (Hint: touch it
occasionally while it's running -- it will be cold just after
power-on...) As a bonus, you'll get to watch the fans spinning (and make
sure they *are* spinning).

Be sure to take reasonable anti-static steps.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | ... boxing the books up was a mistake: they are welded to
aprilcottage.co.uk | the floor through the power of gravity.