Re: Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 04 December 2006 02:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 03 December 2006 21:28, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 19:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
What can I replace totem with that will work?

I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do
not tell you what it can't play.
Try enabling the livna repository and installing vlc.  It will play
about anything you throw at it.

--
 Les Mikesell
  [email protected]

So I truck meself off the the Sun site and dl
jdk-1_5_0_10-linux.rpm.bin, the very latest, shinyest version there. But would you believe it was packed with rpm-4.0.4? And it gives the
current 4.4.2, a segfault tummy ache.  Repeatedly.
And now my rpm database appears to be hosed, even an rpm --rebuilddb seems
to be hung in sleep state, no cpu usage and if I want to kill it, I'll
have to do a SIGKILL on it from htop. But, in the FWIW category, before
I started that, it reported there was no java installed, without any
errors.
Now what the heck do I do?
Dumb answer on my part, but it works for me. Reboot into runlevel 1 and
try to rebuild rpm from single user mode. This process worked for me. I
however removed any __db* files that either rpm or rpmrebuild lists
after locating the __db* files before attempting a rebuilding of the
database.
Regarding totem. I usually remove it and install xine, totem-xine and
any players that actually work. Since multimedia is not a big interest
for me lately, usually I do not get around to adding items for a long
time after installs.
Jim

--
If we all work together, we can totally disrupt the system.