Re: Totem=noshow

On Sunday 03 December 2006 21:28, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 19:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> What can I replace totem with that will work?
>>
>> I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do
>> not tell you what it can't play.
>
>Try enabling the livna repository and installing vlc.  It will play
>about anything you throw at it.

See my previous response to Craig White.  I did, and it just goes
away exactly as if I'd clicked the close firefox x when clicking
on that video.  I'll try it on another site.  But first I saved
the script that would be exec'd, and it appears the video is in .asx
format, whatever the hell that is (later, according to about:plugins
its a windows media player thingy).  Its a National Geographic site.
I didn't find any other movie links quickly.  Anybody got a known
good source for an .asx file to test this with?  Maybe on an M$
site in Redmond?
Humm, good google test search ".asx test video".  Found some test
files by golly, but another thought just crossed my mind, I was
watching tvtime, which should be a separate application totally
AFAIK, but since it also uses the system audio, I've shut it down.
Now for the tests: They are at
 <http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMimeTypesAndApplications.html>

Humm, the test files, all 3 of them are "404 not found", then
I note at the bottom of the left column there are legal issues.
fscking loverly.  So I backed out to the google results and
clicked on the next link down which is called 'streaming video
test page', and firefox goes away instantly.  well, maybe 200
milliseconds total after the click.

 And again without any message whatsoever.

[root@coyote ~]# ldconfig
[root@coyote ~]# firefox
[root@coyote ~]# firefox
[root@coyote ~]#

Here is a listing of the about:plugins:
VLC multimedia plugin

    File name: libvlcplugin.so
    VLC multimedia plugin

    version 0.8.5 Janus
    VideoLAN WWW: http://www.videolan.org/

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
audio/mpeg 	MPEG audio 	mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg 	MPEG audio 	mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega 	Yes
video/mpeg 	MPEG video 	mpg,mpeg,mpe 	Yes
video/x-mpeg 	MPEG video 	mpg,mpeg,mpe 	Yes
video/mpeg-system 	MPEG video 	mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob 	Yes
video/x-mpeg-system 	MPEG video 	mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob 	Yes
video/mpeg4 	MPEG-4 video 	mp4,mpg4 	Yes
audio/mpeg4 	MPEG-4 audio 	mp4,mpg4 	Yes
application/mpeg4-iod 	MPEG-4 video 	mp4,mpg4 	Yes
application/mpeg4-muxcodetable 	MPEG-4 video 	mp4,mpg4 	Yes
video/x-msvideo 	AVI video 	avi 	Yes
video/quicktime 	QuickTime video 	mov,qt 	Yes
application/x-ogg 	Ogg stream 	ogg 	Yes
application/ogg 	Ogg stream 	ogg 	Yes
application/x-vlc-plugin 	VLC plugin 		Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin 	Windows Media Video 	asf,asx 	Yes
video/x-ms-asf 	Windows Media Video 	asf,asx 	Yes
application/x-mplayer2 	Windows Media 		Yes
video/x-ms-wmv 	Windows Media 	wmv 	Yes
application/x-google-vlc-plugin 	Google VLC pluginaudio/wav 	:WAV audioaudio/x-wav::WAV audio: 	Yes

Nicely formatted cut & paste. I turned off word wrap to salvage
it a wee bit :(

DivX Browser Plug-In

    File name: mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
video/divx 	DivX Media Format 	divx 	Yes
video/vnd.divx 	DivX Media Format 	divx 	Yes
QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7

    File name: mplayerplug-in-qt.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
video/quicktime 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
video/x-quicktime 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
image/x-quicktime 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
video/quicktime 	Quicktime 	mp4 	Yes
video/quicktime 	Quicktime - Session Description Protocol 	sdp 	Yes
application/x-quicktimeplayer 	Quicktime 	mov 	Yes
application/smil 	SMIL 	smil 	Yes

RealPlayer 9

    File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
audio/x-pn-realaudio 	RealAudio 	ram,rm 	Yes
application/vnd.rn-realmedia 	RealMedia 	rm 	Yes
application/vnd.rn-realaudio 	RealAudio 	ra,ram 	Yes
video/vnd.rn-realvideo 	RealVideo 	rv 	Yes
audio/x-realaudio 	RealAudio 	ra 	Yes
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin 	RealAudio 	rpm 	Yes
application/smil 	SMIL 	smil 	Yes
Windows Media Player Plugin

    File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/asx 	Media Files 	* 	Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin 	Media Files 	* 	Yes
video/x-msvideo 	AVI 	avi,* 	Yes
video/msvideo 	AVI 	avi,* 	Yes
application/x-mplayer2 	Media Files 	* 	Yes
application/x-ms-wmv 	Microsoft WMV video 	wmv,* 	Yes
video/x-ms-asf 	Media Files 	asf,asx,* 	Yes
video/x-ms-wm 	Media Files 	wm,* 	Yes
video/x-ms-wmv 	Microsoft WMV video 	wmv,* 	Yes
audio/x-ms-wmv 	Windows Media 	wmv,* 	Yes
video/x-ms-wmp 	Windows Media 	wmp,* 	Yes
video/x-ms-wvx 	Windows Media 	wvx,* 	Yes
audio/x-ms-wax 	Windows Media 	wax,* 	Yes
audio/x-ms-wma 	Windows Media 	wma,* 	Yes
application/x-drm-v2 	Windows Media 	asx,* 	Yes
audio/wav 	Microsoft wave file 	wav,* 	Yes
audio/x-wav 	Microsoft wave file 	wav,* 	Yes
mplayerplug-in 3.31

    File name: mplayerplug-in.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
video/mpeg 	MPEG 	mpg,mpeg 	Yes
audio/mpeg 	MPEG 	mpg,mpeg 	Yes
video/x-mpeg 	MPEG 	mpg,mpeg 	Yes
video/x-mpeg2 	MPEG2 	mpv2,mp2ve 	Yes
audio/mpeg 	MPEG 	mpg,mpeg 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg 	MPEG 	mpg,mpeg 	Yes
audio/mpeg2 	MPEG audio 	mp2 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg2 	MPEG audio 	mp2 	Yes
video/mp4 	MPEG 4 Video 	mp4 	Yes
audio/mpeg3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/x-mpegurl 	MPEG url 	m3u 	Yes
audio/mp3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
application/x-ogg 	Ogg Vorbis Media 	ogg 	Yes
audio/ogg 	Ogg Vorbis Audio 	ogg 	Yes
application/ogg 	Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora 	ogg 	Yes
video/fli 	FLI animation 	fli,flc 	Yes
video/x-fli 	FLI animation 	fli,flc 	Yes
video/vnd.vivo 	VivoActive 	viv,vivo 	Yes
application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 	Nullsoft Streaming Video 	nsv 	Yes
audio/x-mod 	Soundtracker 	mod 	Yes
audio/basic 	Basic Audio File 	au,snd 	Yes
audio/x-basic 	Basic Audio File 	au,snd 	Yes
DjVuLibre-3.5.17

    File name: nsdejavu.so
    This is the DjvuLibre-3.5.17 version of the DjVu plugin.
    More information can be found at LizardTech, Inc. and DjVuZone.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
image/x-djvu 	DjVu File 	djvu,djv 	Yes
image/x.djvu 	DjVu File 		Yes
image/djvu 	DjVu File 		Yes
image/x-dejavu 	DjVu File 		Yes
image/x-iw44 	DjVu File 		Yes
image/vnd.djvu 	DjVu File 		Yes
MozPlugger 1.7.3 handles QuickTime Windows Media Player Plugin

    File name: mozplugger.so
    MozPlugger version 1.7.3, written by Fredrik Hübinette <hubbe@xxxxxxxxx> and Louis Bavoil <bavoil@xxxxxxxxxxx>.
    For documentation on how to configure mozplugger, check the man page. (type man mozplugger)
    Configuration file:	/etc/mozpluggerrc
    Helper binary:	mozplugger-helper
    Controller binary:	mozplugger-controller

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
video/mpeg 	MPEG animation 	mpeg,mpg,mpe 	Yes
video/x-mpeg 	MPEG animation 	mpeg,mpg,mpe 	Yes
video/x-mpeg2 	MPEG2 animation 	mpv2,mp2ve 	Yes
video/mp4 	MPEG4 animation 	mp4 	Yes
video/msvideo 	AVI animation 	avi 	Yes
video/x-msvideo 	AVI animation 	avi 	Yes
video/fli 	FLI animation 	fli,flc 	Yes
video/x-fli 	FLI animation 	fli,flc 	Yes
application/x-mplayer2 	Windows Media 	wmv,asf,mov 	Yes
video/x-ms-asf 	Windows Media 	asf,asx,wma,wax,wmv,wvx 	Yes
video/x-ms-wmv 	Windows Media 	wmv 	Yes
application/x-quicktimeplayer 	Quicktime animation 	mov 	Yes
image/x-macpaint 	Quicktime animation 	pntg,mov 	Yes
video/quicktime 	Quicktime animation 	mov,qt 	Yes
video/x-quicktime 	Quicktime animation 	mov,qt 	Yes
video/x-theora 	OGG stream with video 	ogg 	Yes
video/theora 	OGG stream with video 	ogg 	Yes
video/ogg 	OGG stream with video 	ogg 	Yes
video/x-ogg 	OGG stream with video 	ogm,ogv 	Yes
audio/mod 	Soundracker audio Module 	mod 	Yes
audio/x-mod 	Soundracker audio Module 	mod 	Yes
audio/mp3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/x-mp3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/mpeg2 	MPEG audio 	mp2 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg2 	MPEG audio 	mp2 	Yes
audio/mpeg3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg3 	MPEG audio 	mp3 	Yes
audio/mpeg 	MPEG audio 	mpa,abs,mpega 	Yes
audio/x-mpeg 	MPEG audio 	mpa,abs,mpega 	Yes
audio/x-ogg 	OGG audio 	ogg 	Yes
application/x-ogg 	OGG audio 	ogg 	Yes
application/ogg 	OGG audio 	ogg 	Yes
audio/basic 	Basic audio file 	au,snd 	Yes
audio/x-basic 	Basic audio file 	au,snd 	Yes
audio/wav 	Microsoft wave file 	wav 	Yes
audio/x-wav 	Microsoft wave file 	wav 	Yes
audio/x-pn-wav 	Microsoft wave file 	wav 	Yes
audio/x-pn-windows-acm 	Microsoft wave file 	wav 	Yes
audio/x-ms-wax 	Windows Media 	wax,wma 	Yes
image/sun-raster 	SUN raster image 	rs 	Yes
image/x-sun-raster 	SUN raster image 	rs 	Yes
image/x-rgb 	RGB Image 	rgb 	Yes
image/x-portable-pixmap 	PPM Image 	ppm 	Yes
image/x-portable-graymap 	PGM Image 	pgm 	Yes
image/x-portable-bitmap 	PBM Image 	pbm 	Yes
image/x-portable-anymap 	PBM Image 	pnm 	Yes
image/tiff 	TIFF image 	tiff,tif 	Yes
image/x-tiff 	TIFF image 	tiff,tif 	Yes
application/pdf 	PDF file 	pdf 	Yes
application/x-pdf 	PDF file 	pdf 	Yes
text/pdf 	PDF file 	pdf 	Yes
text/x-pdf 	PDF file 	pdf 	Yes
application/x-dvi 	DVI file 	dvi 	Yes
application/x-postscript 	PostScript file 	ps 	Yes
application/postscript 	PostScript file 	ps 	Yes
application/x-rtf 	Rich Text Format 	rtf 	Yes
application/rtf 	Rich Text Format 	rtf 	Yes
text/rtf 	Rich Text Format 	rtf 	Yes
application/x-msword 	Microsoft Word Document 	doc,dot 	Yes
application/msword 	Microsoft Word Document 	doc,dot 	Yes
application/vnd.ms-excel 	Microsoft Excel Document 	xls,xlb 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.writer 	OpenOffice Writer 6.0 documents 	sxw 	Yes
application/so7_vnd.sun.xml.writer 	OpenOffice Writer 7.0 documents 	sxw 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template 	OpenOffice Writer 6.0 templates 	stw 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global 	OpenOffice Writer 6.0 global documents 	sxg 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.writer 	StarWriter 5.x documents 	sdw 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.writer-global 	StarWriter 5.x global documents 	sgl 	Yes
application/x-starwriter 	StarWriter 4.x documents 	sdw 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.calc 	OpenOffice Calc 6.0 spreadsheets 	sxc 	Yes
application/so7_vnd.sun.xml.calc 	OpenOffice Calc 7.0 spreadsheets 	sxc 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template 	OpenOffice Calc 6.0 templates 	stc 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.calc 	StarCalc 5.x spreadsheets 	sdc 	Yes
application/x-starcalc 	StarCalc 4.x spreadsheets 	sdc 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.draw 	OpenOffice Draw 6.0 documents 	sxd 	Yes
application/so7_vnd.sun.xml.draw 	StarOffice Draw 7.0 documents 	sxc 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.template 	OpenOffice Draw 6.0 templates 	std 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.draw 	StarDraw 5.x documents 	sda 	Yes
application/x-stardraw 	StarDraw 4.x documents 	sda 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.impress 	OpenOffice Impress 6.0 presentations 	sxi 	Yes
application/so7_vnd.sun.xml.impress 	StarOffice 7.0 Impress presentations 	sxi 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.impress.template 	OpenOffice Impress 6.0 templates 	sti 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.impress 	StarImpress 5.x presentations 	sdd 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.impress-packed 	StarImpress Packed 5.x files 	sdp 	Yes
application/x-starimpress 	StarImpress 4.x presentations 	sdd 	Yes
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint 	PowerPoint Slideshow 	ppt 	Yes
application/mspowerpoint 	PowerPoint Slideshow 	ppt,ppz,pps,pot 	Yes
application/vnd.sun.xml.math 	OpenOffice Math 6.0 documents 	sxm 	Yes
application/so7_vnd.sun.xml.math 	StarOffice 7.0 Math documents 	sxm 	Yes
application/vnd.stardivision.math 	StarMath 5.x documents 	smf 	Yes
application/x-starmath 	StarMath 4.x documents 	smf 	Yes
Adobe Reader 7.0

    File name: nppdf.so
    The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/pdf 	Portable Document Format 	pdf 	Yes
application/vnd.fdf 	Acrobat Forms Data Format 	fdf 	Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf 	XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format 	xfdf 	Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml 	Acrobat XML Data Package 	xdp 	Yes
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml 	Adobe FormFlow99 Data File 	xfd 	Yes
Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 7.0 r68

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl 	Yes
Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0

    File name: mplayerplug-in-gmp.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.11

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
    JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-google-vlc-plugin 	Google Video

Are any of the above known to be laced with hemlock tea?

Now I notice that quite a few of those are javascript and GTK2 Widgets gizmos.
I have these installed:
compat-wxGTK-common-2.4.2-21.fc6
wxGTK-2.6.3-2.6.3.2.3.fc6
wxGTK-gl-2.6.3-2.6.3.2.3.fc6
compat-wxGTK-2.4.2-21.fc6

Do I need anything else?

A grep for java in the rpm -qa output shows about 2 screensfull
of assorted java stuff, the most enlightening of which is that
the java installed is what, 3 years old?  1.4.2? Good grief.
I also note that java isn't listed above.

On inspecting the various java directories in /usr/lib, they are all empty!
[root@coyote lib]# pwd
/usr/lib
[root@coyote lib]# ls -la java*
java:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-1.3.1:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-1.4.0:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-1.4.1:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-1.4.2:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-1.5.0:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 160 root root 131072 Dec  3 23:22 ..

java-ext:
total 144
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Sep  1 16:03 .

Why so many versions, and why are they all empty?

And, better yet, whats the procedure to fix it?
I have a copy of the jre-1.5.0.6 archive on the other drive
I could probably install, but I hear its done differently
these days.

Your turn & many thanks, Les.

--
Cheers, Gene