RE: How to configure wireless network card

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

In my experience, NM just adds another layer of obfuscation
to an already confusing (and confused) setup.
I found after a lot of experiment (and requests on the NM mailing list)
that NM just did not work with my WiFi card,
a standard (if old) Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
Basically, it tried to turn the card to a mode it did not support.

I sort-of recall that thread.  I have a relatively old Orinoco card in one
machine that works just fine with NM, except that there's no WPA support.
I did nothing special to configure it, just used the standard tools
(system-config-network and NM).

Your posting led me to try NetworkManager again,
but my experience was no better than before:
starting NM has the immediate effect of stopping my WiFi connection,
which until then was working perfectly ...

I see in /var/log/messages:
======================================
Dec  2 22:11:27 martha NetworkManager: <WARNING>
 get_scan_results (): card took too much time scanning.  Get a better one.
Dec  2 22:11:27 martha NetworkManager: <WARNING>
 nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan (): device eth0 returned an error.
======================================
Yes, well - either my card is not working properly,
or NetworkManager has a long was to go ...

Running "sudo service network restart" does not restore the link.
I have to re-boot the machine.

After that everything - except NM - is working again,
and scanning seems to work without any problem:
======================================
[tim@martha ~]$ sudo iwlist eth0 scan
eth0      Scan completed :
         Cell 01 - Address: 8A:13:22:EE:C9:17
                   ESSID:"maths.tcd.ie"
                   Mode:Ad-Hoc
                   Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
                   Signal level:-57 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
                   Encryption key:on

The card is a Lucent Technologies Gold PCMCIA card (11b),
with, according to /var/log/dmesg,
"Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.04".

Mine's Lucent/Agere 8.10. Other than that, don't know what to say. Sorry....

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu