Re: reboot after updates (dbus & hal)??? what is this windows???

At 5:55 PM +1030 12/2/06, Tim wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 21:34 -0500, Zing wrote:
>
>> Because puplet? tells me that a reboot is needed for these packages after
>> their installed.  It asks you if you want to reboot now or later after
>> upgrading.
>
>Too tightly integrated with the kernel?  (Just guessing.)
>
>I was shocked to see FC6 reboot itself after doing a pile of RPM updates
>(by that gadget prompting about available updates in the titlebar).
>There was no warning or request that I saw, it just rebooted at the end
>of the updating.  I was in the middle of doing other things.
>
>Not impressed.

I'm not using Pup, just yum, and I haven't had any requests to reboot.  I
think it is a Pup thing, just as it used to be an Up2Date thing.

I don't know if it is needed, or is the best way to phrase it, but there
should be some message for, say, kernels, which aren't put to work just by
being installed.  Kernel modules are a gray area, but I'd expect the
package to DTRT in its post-install script, making the prompt unnecessary.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>