Re: Units??

On Saturday 02 December 2006 19:21, jim tate wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > According to yum:
> >
> > units.i386                               1.85-1.2.2             installed
> > Matched from:
> > A utility for converting amounts from one unit to another.
> >
> > I couldn't find it on the menu, so I tried :
> > /usr/bin/units
> > 2438 units, 71 prefixes, 32 nonlinear units
> >
> > You have:
> >
> > Clearly this is not what I intended :-)
> >
> > Question 1 - what units is this talking about?
> > Question 2 - does anyone know how I can access the 'units' converter?
> >
> > Anne
>
> info units on CLI

I panicked when I got an unexpected screen, thinking that I had actually
accessed something else altogether.  Naturally, then, I didn't think of info,
since it would tell me about the 'other' - OK - it might have answered
question 1.  As it turns out, it wouldn't have helped much, as it simply
returns

* Menu:

* Overview::            What does `units' do?
* Interactive use::     How to use `units'.
* Command line use::    How to use `units' noninteractively.
* Invoking units::      Command line options.
* Unit expressions::    Forming compound units.
* Unit definitions::    What units are defined?
* Defining new units::  How to write your own units definitions.
* Nonlinear units::     How to define nonlinear units.
* Localization::        How to define and use regional unit names.
* Environment vars::    Environment variables used by `units'.
* Readline support::    Unit name completion and editing.
* Index::               General index

and nothing to follow.  Mikkel's link gives me the same menu, but with html
links to relevant content.

Anne