Re: kbuildsycoca problem?

On Friday 01 December 2006 19:01, Rex Dieter wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> That's one problem. XDG_CONFIG_DIRS should be getting defined from
>>> /etc/kde/env/env.sh (if using FC stock packaging)
>>
>> AFAIK I am. The /etc/kde/env/env.sh contains:
>> ---
>> # from http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/
>> # XDG_CONFIG_DIRS: where to look for menu config(s)
>> if [ -z "${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS}" ] ; then
>>    XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/kde/xdg:/etc/xdg
>>    export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
>> fi
>> ---
>>From man bash:
>>  -z string
>>               True if the length of string is zero.
>>
>> Since its zero, as in doesn't exist at that point, common sense says
>> that this script, _if_ its being exec'd, should properly set it.  But
>> it apparently doesn't.  I can set another junk var and export it to
>> test I think.  This would require an x restart I'd think.
>>
>> I added
>> JUNQUE_VAR=123456789;export JUNQUE_VAR above the if [conditional],
>> then restarted x.  Its is not visible in an env report.  This I
>> believe confirms that it is not being exec'd at a startx instant.
>>
>> Where do we go from here, Rex?
>
>It appears, root's env space is getting reset, whereas normal users
>don't.  Does that match with your findings?  There's a buglet in there
>somewhere, but I'll be darned if I know where to look for it.

I don't know enough about it to call it "reset" Rex.  I put the other var
in my ~/.bashrc, and that survived rather nicely.  It then existed after
logging clear out, then back in to a tty shell.

I didn't know we had a mechanism to reset a users env, other than setting
all the vars back to "" and exporting them.  That, on the face of it,
seems so far off that its not even wrong, but

>Might be worth filing something in bugzilla (against kdebase initially,
>I guess).

Done, albeit probably not concise enough. #218143.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)