printer support problem

Greetings;

My printer just advised me via a blinking led that one of the ink
cartridges was empty.  So I sent yum looking for mtink which worked very
nicely for FC2.

No dice.  Google for mtink fc6, found a repo called gemi which had it.

Added that to the repo's and had mtink installed via yumex.  No dependency
problems according to yumex.

It wouldn't run, couldn't find libMx.so.3.

A locate found the only copies I had on the old FC2 drive.  And for FC6,
even the dir it was in was missing as there was no /usr/X11R6/lib dir,
only a bin there.  So I made a lib dir there, copied the old
libMx.so.3.0.2 to it and made a link to libMx.so.3. in that dir.

Then I added that path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig -v, which
seemed to be happy.

Then mtink runs just fine, and told me it was the black cartridge that was
empty.  For some reason, replacing it with the genuine epson cartridge
caused the printer to crash and I actually had to do a pull the power
cord reset on it, but once that was done everything was cool again, and
mtink when restarted, tells me the cartridge is now full.

But I fail to see why a very important report tool, such as mtink or
escputil, was totally omitted from the distribution in view of a mistaken
assumption of which cartridge is empty and gets changed, is a nearly $30
mistake.  Can someone knowledgeable address this?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)