Re: Port 8000

Eli Barzilay wrote:
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 01Dec2006 00:45, Eli Barzilay <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I noticed that something is listening on port 8000, but I can't find
| out what.  All I've seen is that netcat-ting to it almost always
| closes the connection after reading 12 bytes.  Does anybody know
| what's listening on that port?  Is there a way to find out?  (I tried
| netstat and lsof, no useful information there.)

Did you try this?

  netstat -anp | grep 8000

You need to be root to use the -p otpion, but it tells you the
program owning the port.

Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

you can also use lsof

sudo lsof -i | grep 8000

Thanks & Thanks -- both helped.  Now that I know what it is -- is it
common for `nasd' to run on port 8000?  Looking at the config files in
both /etc/nas and /etc/sysconfig/nasd, I don't see any port setting to
change.  Is this thing even needed (assuming I don't need remote
audio)?

I don't have it installed on anything.  I do have a story about it though:

Several years ago we installed it in all of our SUN desktops (over 100 systems) throughout the building we were in.

The fire marshal on our floor received a red plastic fireman's hat as a gag gift. That hat had the most annoying siren on it that any of us had ever heard. So, of course, we recorded a bit of it, looped it, and played it throughout the building using nasd.

The help desk lit up like a Christmas tree. It was the best office gag we ever saw. The sound echoed down the halls on every floor.

We had regular fire drills in that facility, so no one was concerned about an alarm type situation.

Management was present and informed prior to procedure. It was a good laugh for all.