Re: Can't get GRUB installed.

At 01:16 PM 12/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:
Ted Gervais wrote:

Thanks Tim for getting back to my question(s) on grub. I haven't given up but I have gone back to installing centos and it went on just great. And absolutely no problems with grub. I made some notes on where and how centos installed grub and now I am going back to try and install fc6 again..

I wonder if there might be a problem with that first disk of fc6? Or something like that? I had the install process check the disk and it said things were ok. But I sure am wondering. I have never had a problem installing any of the redhat/fedora products before but what the heck - these things will happen.

OK. I am off to remove centos and to install again fc6.

-<snip>-
> So, there has to be  a reason why fedora won't install grub on this
> machine.  But at the moment I am totally lost for any reason why it won't
> install.

If you can get into your linux system you could try
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
Maybe grub has a different idea about your hard disks to you.

If you can't get into your linux system
you could run this command from your first Fedora CD in rescue mode
(after following the chroot command suggested).

I'm no linux guru, but you could try looking at the MBR of /dev/hda
with something like
-------------------------------------
[tim@martha ~]$ sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=out bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.385087 seconds, 1.3 kB/s
[tim@martha ~]$ strings out
ZRrI
D|f1
GRUB
Geom
Hard Disk
Read
 Error
I think there should be some mention of GRUB if it is installed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366