Re: FC6 Network Definitions

Gene Poole wrote:
I've just finished a clean install of FC6 using the network parameters that
was used by FC4 prior to the install.  I'm on a Windows network, but I have
a static IP address. I ended up with a corrupted hosts file, so there was
no loop-back. My issue is with resolv.conf and the fact that the windows
dns servers are wrong. On the neighbor Windows box the dns servers are
accessed dynamically.  How can I duplicate this but keep my static address?

TIA,
Gene Poole

On the windows box bring up a command prompt (start > run > cmd) type ipconfig /all This will list the IP configuration of the Windows machine, one of such will be the IP address of the DNS server(s)

On your Linux box either do the following by hand through a terminal, su -, to become root, use emacs or vi
/etc/sysconfig/networking/device/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=00:16:E6:46:F6:D1
IPADDR=192.168.1.13
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet

Then, edit
/etc/resolv.conf and enter the DNS address(es)  nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
/etc/hosts and enter any name short cuts you want  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  alias

OR
System > Administration > Network.  Edit the device, SAVE and restart it.