Re: Fedora Video Card Problem

Matt Cook wrote:
Ok so I recently installed FC6 and it seems that My ATI card isn't compatible. When I boot after the install, it wants to black out the screen and act like the monitor isn't receiving a signal. Now I did take it out and use the stock card on the Mobo (Intel Grpahics Media Accelerator) and it worked fine. The thing is, it's a pretty pricey card, and i dual boot with winxp, which can use the card. Is there a driver that i can dowload, or some configuration i can change so that i don't have to take out the card every time i want to use Fedora?

Hi Matt,
You sound pretty new to Linux, so I'll just paraphrase what you've said, this assumes you're using the X1600

1. You installed okay, went through the various graphical screens and configured things, probably accepting 99% of the defaults
2. FC did its thing and formatted and setup itself
3. Did you install Grub (graphical boot manager) to dual boot with XP, does that work okay? (side question)
4. FC starts to boot, you get the text boot screen
5. It then swaps to the graphical boot screen
6. It completes the boot cycle and starts the X server (graphical interface)
7. At that point, your monitor (which is an LCD? connected on DVI?) then goes in to sleep mode?

Please confirm this is the behaviour, it will help to diagnose the problem. Like Robin first said, it's more than likely you need to install the kernel module for the ATi video chipset. Think of this as graphics drivers for your video card (which they are). Here's a link to site that was useful for me, it's for Core 5, but I'm sure it will work for 6 just as well.
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia

You can get to a terminal window by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1, this should bring your monitor back to life as you'll have swapped in to text mode. I just hope you have a second PC to follow the instructions from.