Re: Rpm download

On Thursday 30 November 2006 09:37, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>jim tate wrote:
>> Downloading a rpm from the sight below, When I click on rpm to save in
>> FC 6 all that happens it open a RealPlayer window , I can't even do a
>> "Save link" that doesn't work either.
>> This site is the only site I have had this problem with.
>> What gives?
>
>The lightscribe.com site has an incorrected mime-type set for .rpm
>files (audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin), at least for .rpm files as most
>of us are used to them.  You can use wget to download it:

That's not lacies mistake, its the browsers mimetype associations and can
be fixed if one is determined to.
Its also very very commonly made, and can be worked around by right
clicking and choosing the save as option from the pop-up.

Windoze folks think they can make life difficult by hijacking the .rpm
extension away from the OSS folks but all it does is make me more
convinced I should nuke the only winderz install here, a leftover copy of
XP on my lappy.  I keep that just for the dweebs at C.C. in case I have a
problem with it.  When the warranty is up, it gets nuked at the first
sneeze, I don't like viri loose in my house.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)