Re: SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

At 10:18 PM -0500 11/29/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>> I have written a script to automatically verify and repair the RPM database
>> each day, called rpm_verify_db, at
>> <http://georgeanelson.com/rpm-verifydb.htm>.
>>
>> The RPM database is vital to the maintenace of Fedora or any Redhat-branch
>> Linux.  Yum uses it for updates.  Nothing ever checks it for corruption,
>> until RPM finally complains.  I personally could not upgrade to FC6 because
>> of silent corruption, so I wrote this package.
>>
>> RPM's developer, Jeff Johnson, believes that RPM database corruption is so
>> extremely rare that it is not worth checking for, and he also notes that
>> the check that I am using is inadequate.  It is, however, the best /check/
>> available in RPM.  It can fail to detect problems that RPM may report when
>> doing transactions that update the RPM database.  See the thread at
>> Redhat's rpm-list, "SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair".
>>
>> RPM may be able to rebuild the database if corruption is found (by RPM, or
>> by my package, or by running "rpm --verifydb" by hand).  To rebuild the RPM
>> database, run "rpm --rebuilddb" as root (which is what my package does).
>> However, --rebuilddb simply rebuilds the database; it does not say whether
>> there were errors in the old database, so it is not itself a /check/ of the
>> database.
>

>Thanks for the effort! I will try your package since running
>rpm --verifydb just gave me a return of the below pasted error. This is
>on the development version for reference.

Yes, thanks, you're just the sort of user I'm looking for:  one who will
probably mention any error reports produced by my package.  And I'm pleased
that I prompted you to check (and repair) your RPM database.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>