SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

I have written a script to automatically verify and repair the RPM database
each day, called rpm_verify_db, at
<http://georgeanelson.com/rpm-verifydb.htm>.

The RPM database is vital to the maintenace of Fedora or any Redhat-branch
Linux.  Yum uses it for updates.  Nothing ever checks it for corruption,
until RPM finally complains.  I personally could not upgrade to FC6 because
of silent corruption, so I wrote this package.

RPM's developer, Jeff Johnson, believes that RPM database corruption is so
extremely rare that it is not worth checking for, and he also notes that
the check that I am using is inadequate.  It is, however, the best /check/
available in RPM.  It can fail to detect problems that RPM may report when
doing transactions that update the RPM database.  See the thread at
Redhat's rpm-list, "SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair".

RPM may be able to rebuild the database if corruption is found (by RPM, or
by my package, or by running "rpm --verifydb" by hand).  To rebuild the RPM
database, run "rpm --rebuilddb" as root (which is what my package does).
However, --rebuilddb simply rebuilds the database; it does not say whether
there were errors in the old database, so it is not itself a /check/ of the
database.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>