Re: newbie question - mkinitrd

Don Raikes wrote:

> I just tried to create a new initrd by using mkinitrd to include the
> sky2 module so I have networking support when I bootup.

I suspect you're labouring under a misapprehension.

Adding a module to the initrd only really makes sense if you need it to
mount your root filesystem (/), which happens *very* early in the
booting process. Adding the sky2 module to the initrd only makes sense
if you're trying to have your root filesystem physically hosted on
another computer, but made available over the network to your computer.
This is possible, but unusual -- these days, *very* unusual.

If you just want a network available for normal web / e-mail / *normal*
filesharing / whatever, you don't need to do this. Normally, your
network will come up slightly later in the boot process, having read the
sky2 module off your root filesystem.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Has anybody ever considered that rats may just be the
aprilcottage.co.uk | most hypochondriac mammal on earth?