Re: installing kernel.org kernels

On Thursday 30 November 2006 07:23, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:12:00AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > 1. During the boot, I saw a message go by indicating that TUX was not
> > supported by this kernel.
>
>It's only present in Fedora kernels, as it's one of the few patches
>we haven't managed to get upstream.
>
> > Frankly, I hadn't figured out what it as for
>
>If you don't know, you probably don't need it :)
>It's a httpd accelerator.  Unless you have a need for a really
>high performance webserver, you can just rpm -e tux

That's the answer I was looking for on this subject, thanks.

That was quick, maybe 2 seconds and there is another compile running in
the background.

> > 2. Trying to do this as a user rather than root because you all decry
> > my running everything as root.  To that end I have broken my 'makeit'
> > script in two, doing all the building as myself and leaving the
> > installation to a separate script that must be run as root.  This
> > seems to work, but is there a way to run as the common user and still
> > have rights to install the modules in /lib/modules/$kernelver, and to
> > install the pieces and links in /boot that are required to achieve a
> > working boot?
>
>sudo ?

For another 30+ lines of script?  I'd have to study up on wrapping that
one up correctly.

Side comment here.  I know my present .config is probably building quite a
few more modules that I don't need since I started with a make oldconfig,
but can that explain why a kernel build that a month ago on gcc-3.3.4
took 10 to 11 minutes, it now taking nearly 30 minutes to do with this
newer compiler suite FC6 installs?

Thanks Dave

--
Cheers, Gene