Re: installing kernel.org kernels

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:12:00AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

 > 1. During the boot, I saw a message go by indicating that TUX was not
 > supported by this kernel.

It's only present in Fedora kernels, as it's one of the few patches
we haven't managed to get upstream.

 > Frankly, I hadn't figured out what it as for

If you don't know, you probably don't need it :)
It's a httpd accelerator.  Unless you have a need for a really
high performance webserver, you can just rpm -e tux

 > 2. Trying to do this as a user rather than root because you all decry my
 > running everything as root.  To that end I have broken my 'makeit' script
 > in two, doing all the building as myself and leaving the installation to
 > a separate script that must be run as root.  This seems to work, but is
 > there a way to run as the common user and still have rights to install
 > the modules in /lib/modules/$kernelver, and to install the pieces and
 > links in /boot that are required to achieve a working boot?

sudo ?

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk