Re: can't play avi file

Claude Jones wrote:
On Wed November 29 2006 1:51 am, Darlene Wallach wrote:

Ric Moore wrote:

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:31 -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:

I'm very disappointed I can't play the videos on my computer. I
was looking forward to watching the videos to learn more about
Haskell. Someone who has watched some of the videos recommends
them highly.

I think the prob is to find something that will play back HDV, which I
assume is High Def Video... I assume. Googling finds users using
Cinelerra from Freshrpms. I'm dnloading it and you might do the same.
See if it will accept either the stream or the file for viewing. This is
really troublshooting with a shotgun, but I wanted to see if I could
make that file go for my own self! Good luck and Good Night. Ric

Ric,

I tried videolan-client (vlc) which I have been told worked for
this video on MS.

I had not thought of Cinelerra. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe
I'll have time to try it on Thursday.

Darlene

Getting Cinelerra to do what you want could be daunting. Finding a build for FC3 will be the first challenge, then, finding all the dependencies for that build - at the end of that road, I really don't see why it would play given all the travails you guys are having. I did try the .avi of the German professor starting his lecture - is this the one you're all trying to play? Pardon me as I've not been following this whole thread. On my FC6 box with the "all-codecs" package from the Hungarian mplayer site, and the mplayer packages from FreshRPM's, I had no problem playing it

Claude,

I use the following repos:

dag, fedora, fedora-devel, fedora-updates.repo, freshrpms,
fedora-extras, macromedia-i386, fedora-legacy, python24

When I run "yum list updates" I don't see codecs listed.
I thought I got all the codecs I could find when I
first downloaded mplayer but I don't see any nor a
link for win32. btw, I use FC3 - I know, I know, I
need to upgrade to FC6.

So it looks like it may not be a problem with my
graphics card?

I also installed vlc (videolan-client) and from a forum
I may be SOL - a version of a library I need is not available
for FC3.

Darlene