Re: What hostname do you use on your computer?

>Knute Johnson schrieb:
>
>> So now sendmail hangs on startup for about 2 minutes.  There must be
>> something else to set?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> knute...
>>
>> [knute@knute ~]$ hostname
>> knute
>>
>> [knute@knute ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
>> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>> # that require network functionality will fail.
>> ::1     localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> 192.168.3.5     knute
>>
>> [knute@knute ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
>> NETWORKING=yes
>> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
>> HOSTNAME=knute
>> [knute@knute ~]$
>
>Sendmail requires a dotted hostname, thus means hostname to be not just
>a short one but a FQDN.
>
>If you have no public resolving DNS name for your mail host, then you
>may set your hostname to
>
>knute.example.net
>
>and having following line in /etc/hosts
>
>192.168.3.5   knute.example.net  knute
>
>If you relay through a different MTA, i.e. your ISP's one, make sure the
>envelope sender and header from: are set properly, if the relay host
>does not masquerade it for you.
>
>Alexander

Thanks everybody for your help.  I changed the domain name of the
computer to the same as the internet side of my router.  That made it
possible to relay mail with the onboard sendmail and to use mail
clients with my mail server that is on the outside of my router.

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...