Re: Migrating to a new disk

Robin Laing wrote:
On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:55 +0800, Hadders wrote:

Hi all,
  I have an old 120GB hard disk, and a much newer, 320GB hard disk.

I'd like to migrate my linux (FC5) setup to this newer disk, and also
want to enlarge the partitions.

This may seem naive but can I....

i) Boot up using the FC5 linux rescue mode
ii) Manually partition the new disk, using fdisk
iii) Use e2label and set the labels to be the same on the new disk
partitions as the old, what is the command to tell me the current labels?
iii) Mount both the old and new disks partitions into temporary
directories I create
iv) Do a 'cp -Rv /old-part/* /new-part/' command? Will that get ALL
files, including hidden dot files?
v) Edit the new copies, fstab and alter the mount points accordingly,
that aren't using labels?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank You.
Hadders

My first question is why migrate?  I ask this as disk space is always
short down the road.  Install the second disk and move your /home to the
new disk.  Now you have 320GB for your /home and use the 120 GB for
other purposes.

I have a blank partition for the next version of FC to be installed on.
My /home is mounted on four SATA drives that are in a RAID 1 setup using
LVM.

Just my pennies worth.

You make  a good point. I guess it's more hang over from the old days and figuring it would be easier to have everything in one place.
Was planning on taking the existing 120GB and making it an external drive for backup/dumping stuff to, then using the new 320GB for dual boot, much like the 120, but bigger.

I'll ponder this some more, but I still think I'm leaning to migration.