Re: Migrating to a new disk

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:55 +0800, Hadders wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I have an old 120GB hard disk, and a much newer, 320GB hard disk.
>
> I'd like to migrate my linux (FC5) setup to this newer disk, and also
> want to enlarge the partitions.
>
> This may seem naive but can I....
>
> i) Boot up using the FC5 linux rescue mode
> ii) Manually partition the new disk, using fdisk
> iii) Use e2label and set the labels to be the same on the new disk
> partitions as the old, what is the command to tell me the current labels?
> iii) Mount both the old and new disks partitions into temporary
> directories I create
> iv) Do a 'cp -Rv /old-part/* /new-part/' command? Will that get ALL
> files, including hidden dot files?
> v) Edit the new copies, fstab and alter the mount points accordingly,
> that aren't using labels?
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> Thank You.
> Hadders

My first question is why migrate?  I ask this as disk space is always
short down the road.  Install the second disk and move your /home to the
new disk.  Now you have 320GB for your /home and use the 120 GB for
other purposes.

I have a blank partition for the next version of FC to be installed on.
My /home is mounted on four SATA drives that are in a RAID 1 setup using
LVM.

Just my pennies worth.