Re: What hostname do you use on your computer?

Knute Johnson wrote:
> What name do you give your computer?  I just installed FC6 and set my
> hostname to knute.sagebrush.frazmtn.com.  My gateway router is
> sagebrush.frazmtn.com and I used my name for this computer.  I've run
> into a couple of snags though.  Since knute.sagebrush.frazmtn.com
> doesn't have a DNS entry anywhere I can't relay mail through remote
> servers.  If I set my computer to localhost.localdomain then I can relay
> mail just fine.  What do you do if you don't have a fixed IP?
>
> Thanks,

The name that your mail server uses does not have to be your
hostname. If you are running Postfix, check the myorigin setting.

# SENDING MAIL
#
# The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that locally-posted
# mail appears to come from. The default is to append $myhostname,
# which is fine for small sites.  If you run a domain with multiple
# machines, you should (1) change this to $mydomain and (2) set up
# a domain-wide alias database that aliases each user to
# user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#
# For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
# myorigin also specifies the default domain name that is appended
# to recipient addresses that have no @domain part.
#
#myorigin = $myhostname
#myorigin = $mydomain