Re: Bad DVD or bad ISO?

On Wed November 29 2006 3:21 pm, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> Also, when moving through the installation process it didn't
> seem that Fedora recognized my Debian system when it came time
> to configure Grub. I accepted the default configuration for
> Grub, because I couldn't find a way to add the Debian as one
> of the bootloader options.

You can't add your Debian OS during Fedora's installation. You'll
have to edit grub.conf after you're up to include the Debian in
the options - a source of many recent complaints I've come upon
in Fedora reviews. It's pretty easy to add your other Linux to
the grub.conf file - do a google on it for plenty of info

> However, it appears that Grub didn't overwrite my MBR entries
> for Debian, becuase after I bailed on the Fedora install Grub
> loaded Debian with no problems. Did I miss something during
> the install, or should Fedora have notified me that it saw
> Debian when it was configuring Grub?

Fedora installs write the grub to the MBR near the very end of
the whole process - you never got that far

> I'm not at trying to complain in any way. I'm just want to
> learn what I can about Fedora, and provide some positive
> feedback. :]
A problem I had with one of my installs is that it kept reporting
it couldn't read such and such a file on the DVD - it offered
a 'retry' option, and that always got me past that, though it
sometimes took several tries.

I hope that the Fedora team really focusses on fixing all these
installation issues for FC7 - it's a big negative for an
otherwise great distro - whether it's read failures, broken
media checks, grub not being written to the MBR, etc... The
process is more like gambling... Other distros don't seem to
have as big a cluster of problems at install phase, so my guess
is it's just something waiting to be addressed.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA