Re: Samba Problem - xindetd

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 15:01 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get Samba functioning on my home network. It worked fine
>>> on Ubuntu - and I've saved the configuration file. Obviously I'm doing
>>> something wrong here, but I don't see it.
>>>
>>> My smb.conf has the line WORKGROUP=SATTERWHITE
>>>
>>> When I try to browse the network on my Windows box, I get the error message
>>> "Satterwhite is not accessible
>>>  The associated network name is no longer available."
>>>
>>> I can post / send anything else that you need to help me with the problem.
>> While running the tests suggested by margaret, I ran
>> 	nmblookup -B photon __SAMBA__
>>
>> and got back
>> querying __SAMBA__ on 192.168.1.20
>> name_query failed to find name __SAMBA__
>>
>> The web page indicates an inetd problem - which I could have addressed.
>> I see that Fedora is using xinetd, and I don't see any smb or nmb
>> settings in the xinetd.d directory (I grepped for both). While this
>> *MIGHT* be OK, I'm suspecting a problem here. Should there be entries
>> for smb and nmb? If so, what should they be (and in what files?)
> ----
> generally samba is responsible for it's own startup/shutdown and wouldn't make sense to use xinetd for samba.
>
> make sure it's running...
>
> service smb status

It is (I'd done that, but I just redid it to make sure)

> ps aux|grep smb
> ps aux|grep nmb
>
> but check the firewall & networking issues that I just wrote about

both systems can ping the other. I've stopped iptables (I wouldn't have
thought of that), The laptop still doesn't see the Samba machine.
Knowing the eccentricities of Windows, I then tried restarting Samba and
rebooting Win2K. It still doesn't see the Samba machine.

I've stopped iptables