Re: Samba Problem - xindetd

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm trying to get Samba functioning on my home network. It worked fine
> on Ubuntu - and I've saved the configuration file. Obviously I'm doing
> something wrong here, but I don't see it.
>
> My smb.conf has the line WORKGROUP=SATTERWHITE
>
> When I try to browse the network on my Windows box, I get the error message
> "Satterwhite is not accessible
>  The associated network name is no longer available."
>
> I can post / send anything else that you need to help me with the problem.

While running the tests suggested by margaret, I ran
	nmblookup -B photon __SAMBA__

and got back
querying __SAMBA__ on 192.168.1.20
name_query failed to find name __SAMBA__

The web page indicates an inetd problem - which I could have addressed.
I see that Fedora is using xinetd, and I don't see any smb or nmb
settings in the xinetd.d directory (I grepped for both). While this
*MIGHT* be OK, I'm suspecting a problem here. Should there be entries
for smb and nmb? If so, what should they be (and in what files?)

Thanks much
---Michael