Re: Samba Problem

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 13:49 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> James Kosin wrote:
> > Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> >
> > <... snip ...>

> > Michael,
> >
> > Start first with trying to restart the service.
> > `service smbd restart`
> >
> > Any changes to the configuration file don't happen until a restart of
> > the service.
>
> Good thought ... but I did that right after I made the changes.
> Thanks for the suggestion - because I remembered it this time doesn't
> mean I always will.
----
actually samba re-reads the smb.conf approx once a minute for changes and will incorporate them automatically if possible so that is probably not all that important to remember.

Generally, when running a samba network on the same LAN segment, if both systems have ip addresses in the same class C network with the same subnet mask, the problem is going to be firewall related.

First make sure each system can ping each other's ip address to make sure that basic networking is good.

If networking is OK, then try to temporarily turn off firewall on Linux system...service iptables stop and then see if you can connect.

Craig