Re: networking with Samba

Tim:
>> Are there Gimp add-ons specifically for making it easy to repair or
>> modifiy photos?  I've played around with manually airbrushing over some
>> things in photographs (e.g. overhead powerlines ruining a scene), but
>> not managed to do it invisibly, just make things look less worse.

Anne Wilson:
> The problem is that with photographic images you rarely have any significant
> group of pixels of exactly the same colour.

Depends on the circumstances.  In the latest case, it was model shots
against a miniature cyclorama, where I wanted to paint out power cords
running to equipment being photographed.  I did it manually, and it was
a chore, nor too brilliantly done (I'm no painter), playing with the
airbrush, and soft edged painting tool, picking nearby background
colours and painting (rinse, lather, repeat).

I have seen the technique I'd like to use, used on expensive film
restoring systems, where you play with a virtual pantograph - as you
brush over a section, it pulls in the imagery nearby, and feathers it
in.  Very quick to do things like I was trying, or painting out birds in
the sky, grit and random sparkles on films, etc.  Just wondering if
someone's seen a plug-in for the Gimp that works in a similar way.

> One of the good things about Gimp is the ability to undo any change

Yes, been doing a lot of undoing...  ;-)

> Sometimes it helps to drastically zoom in - you can see even
> individual pixel detail.

Been doing that, too.  I've spent ages painting out the backgrounds
around objects, so I can fake a white-background studio shot of some
object.  Sometimes I've even done a half-decent job of it.

I read messages from the public lists.