Re: Booting error after kernel Compilation

Manoj Kumar wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Recently i tried to compiled Linux Kernel 2.6.15 in FC4.

The machine has winxp also installed in it.

However when i try to boot the system in newly compiled kernel it gives the following error during boot.
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
No volume groups found
Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally with value 5 ! (pid <something> )
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2

and then some errors and kernel panic.

I'am new to FC4.

Can anyone help me get over this problem

Thank you
Manoj

There are many options during configuration that need to be set from the
default settings on custom kernels. One of the settings is related to the console. Some settings are related to LVM. I personally have not compiled a kernel in awhile so am not familiar with these settings. You also need an initrd image for the kernel for certain drivers, label recognition and such. Does the rpm kernel version work for you at all? how are you configuring the kernel and how are you installing the kernel?

More questions I know. No answers though with the provided information.

Jim

--
Jones' First Law:
Anyone who makes a significant contribution to any field of

Hello,

I have tried to install using source rpm i got the same problem.

however i didn't not face any problem with FC4 installed on another machine without WinXP installed

So i'am confused with the problem. i think i have not selected an configuration option related to LVM can anyone tell me about those option whihc i need to select.

Thank you