Re: How does FC run on Dell Insiration?

On 28/11/06, Erik Hemdal <ehemdal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another vote for the Intel cards.  There are some recent postings about
getting these cards working.  It's not transparent -- you have to have the
proper firmware for the Intel card -- but it isn't too hard to get this
going.  As has been mentioned elsewhere, Broadcom doesn't provide open
source drivers.

That's why I was very explicit in the Dell feedback form about not
minding paying a few extra bucks for hardware that works under linux.
Not supported (which Dell seems so afraid of), but works.

As I understand it, Intel has to do it this way so that they can have an
open-source driver and still maintain compliance with radio-interference
regulations.  I'm not an expert about the rules, but I have seen RF
interference cause some really difficult problems at work, so I don't
minimize that requirement.

Ah, have people been hacking the open source driver to make it more
powerful? Ruining everybody else's good time just to boot their own
signal? You'll have them in every lot.

I've recently been dealing with its sister card, the 2915ABG which uses a
similar driver scheme as the 3945.  The Intel documents that I found
recommended a newer version of firmware than what is available via yum.  I'd
appreciate hearing about your experience in setting it up.

I'll probably see the machine in two or three weeks. I'll document
what I've done to get the card working, and let you know. I've been
googling a bit, and it seems that the card is fairly well supported,
so I don't expect any major problems.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/opera.html
http://song-lyriks.com/