Re: Getting Fedora to work

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 08:43 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Rikke D. Giles wrote:
> > On 11/24/2006 08:42:49 PM, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> >>

> >> That said, my install runs through the point that it tries to boot. It
> >> reaches the point that it says:
> >>
> >> Mounting local filesyste          [Failed]
> >> Enabling local filesystem quotas  [OK]
> >> Enabling /etc/fstab swaps
> >>
> >> At this point, the boot hangs and goes no further. I've noted that
> >> other
> >> people have reported the same problem.
> >

> > Hey Michael,
> >
> > Did you turn off SE linux?  Hmm, or maybe it's enabled by default until
> > you hit the first boot sequence.  Anyway, that could be a problem, it
> > might not be recognizing your drives because its not familiar with the
> > labels given (via Kubuntu or whatever).
>
> No, I didn't. Actually, I don't remember a prompt that asked me about SE
> Linux.
>
> > Did you enable a swap?  When you installed, did you rename or edit the
> > names of all the partitions it gave?  I find I have to do this, or it
> > won't give the partition a name, or it gives it one that's strange (such
> > as /usr1, /home1, etc, and then doesn't seem to recognize it), and it's
> > deceptive because the old name is listed in the listing, but the 'mount
> > as' part is blank.
>
> Yes, I gave it a 1.5 gb swap. I did name the partitions using /, /home,
> /windows

Are you trying to mount the windows ntfs partition on first install?
If so then that will be a problem.

Until you install the ntfs module to support an ntfs partition it can't
do that, and the module is not in the fedora distribution.  It is
available from livna or directly from sourceforge.

If my guess above is correct, then simply install without the /windows
partition and after the boot install the ntfs module.  After that you
should be able to mount the ntfs partition.