Re: 2nd try - e2fsck parallelism

T. Horsnell wrote:
> I didnt get any response to my first query, so
> I'm asking again. Apologies if you replied and
> I missed it - please re-send.
>

> I have a system with about 50 SCSI drives spread across
> 5 buses, mostly with 1 ext3 filesystem per drive.
> After a crash I decided to accept the boot-time offer
> to fsck them. About half a dozen proceeded to be checked
> simultaneously, but thereafter the rest went off one by one.
>
> Is this a bug? Should fsck be able to handle this many in
> parallel? Or should it do things in smaller parallel chunks?

It is my understanding that fsck will only check 1 drive on a bus at a
time.  I see this with my IDE drives.  You said that you only see about
1/2 a dozen start up.  Are you sure this isn't *5* (one on each SCSI
bus)?  And then when a drive completes, another on the same bus is then
scheduled?

> I have to confess that I'm running RHEL4 and my e2fsck
> version is still 1.35, 28-Feb-2004. Maybe someone knows
> that this has been fixed in a later version.

Isn't this list for Fedora Core questions?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx