Re: New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Cecilia Lunardini wrote:

Matthew:

still no success.

I followed all your steps in the right order.
After I rebooted, the Devices tab was empty and the
Hardware tab had one item, but not of type wireless.

When I did
rpm -qV kernel ,
nothing happened, and this puzzles me a bit. I did not
verify the kernel files and the stock drivers as you
recommended in step 1, because I did not know how to
do it.

No response from rpm -qV kernel means no errors were found. Yes, it's a but cryptic.

As usual, below is the log of what I have done
(perhaps not very informative, but better than
nothing).

Thanks for helping so patiently,

Cecilia
----------------
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qV kernel
[root@localhost ~]# system-config-network
[root@localhost ~]# emacs /etc/modprobe.conf &
[1] 3413
[root@localhost ~]#

modprobe.conf before:

alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
--ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
alias eth2 e100
alias eth4 3c501

This suggests two ethernet cards.

e100 is a slightly old Intel wired card. 3c501 is a fairly common, fairly old wired card.

OK Try these:

(1) Is there a setting in the BIOS to enable wireless? Is wireless enabled?

(2) Is there a hardware power switch for the wireless? Is it powered on? (If there's no indicator light, then try just toggling the wireless power and booting again.)

(3) What is the output of lspci -v?

(4) Is this machine dual-boot?  Does the card work in Windows?

modprobe.conf after:

[root@localhost ~]# dmesg | grep ipw*
[root@localhost ~]#

--