Re: networking with Samba

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 27 November 2006 02:59, john s. wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:21, john s. wrote:
  Its just me here... My aunt has old family photos (1897+); I packed up
the laptop and scanner and went through the first batch Friday. I have
one of the Windows boxes set up as storage only and would like to have
the photos in a more 'secure' (meaning its easier to swipe the laptop
than the box) place. Being able to access the printer would be a bonus.
  Sidenote- my aunt/uncle are in their 60's/70's; having me scan the
photos was quite a kick for them... They finally got a dvd player for
the tv, but haven't figured out how it works- scanning the photos into
the laptop was like rocket science. I was -very- impressed with the
scanner prog I was using; I've been working with Windows for 7-8 years
and the HP scanner program I've been using is -total- junk. I'm glad
I've been installing Fedora (and other builds) onto the boxes here...
I've been seeing how lame Windows really is.
If it were just to copy photos around, I'd say it's easier to just use a
pen-drive, memory-stick or CD.  However, the remote printing alone is
valuable enough to try for samba.  As Craig said, it's not very
difficult, and you'll get any help you need from the list.

BTW, what did you use for your scanner?  Just interested, as there are
many possibilities and I haven't tried most of them.

Anne
  I considered the usb toys; I have the cat5 crossover cable plugged
into the desktop- which would be easier to use than crawling around on
my hands and knees. There's three sets of kvm's, cables, computers and a
15# cat to deal with, while I'm down there.

USB pen-drives are so much less trouble :-)

  I used xane; I was looking at the photos again today, in different
lighting. I few of the photos will have to be done- though it seems as
though those were done towards the end of the project.  I looked at one
of the PDF's I created from a handwritten letter. The writing seemed a
little garbled...

That could be default settings. I generally scan through Gimp > Acquire which fires up XSane, then loads the capture into Gimp. I like that because it's often necessary to slightly adjust contrast, on captures from my scanner. The default settings are very low resolution, but you can set them to what gives you a good result, then save that as your default. There's also an auto-adjust for gamma, which saves a lot of problems.

The only other app that I've used in the last couple of years is a proprietary (but low-cost) program called VueScan. I bought this because it was capable of talking to my scsi film-scanner, and got better results than XSane did for that piece of equipment. I haven't tried it with my Epson scanner, though. The good thing about VueScan is that you get a free trial before having to pay anything, and if you buy a license it is for more than one machine in your home.

I'm only recommending this if the normal scanning tools can't get the results that you need.

Anne
Doh! I'll check the software out when I'm done buying usb drives... O:-) Anyways, there's usb to ide cables available (I have two); I'll go that ave if I can't get the buzzards to play nice. Thanks.

--
ÐÏࡱá